Ola Electric responded to a recent electric scooter fire incident that occurred in Pune, stating that their investigation has determined that the use of aftermarket parts in the scooter led to a short circuit, resulting in the fire.
Important update pic.twitter.com/K7pw71Xoxo
— Ola Electric (@OlaElectric) October 29, 2023
The company assured that the vehicle’s battery remains intact and functional, and they further confirmed the safety and well-being of the customer involved in the incident.
The incident came to public attention when a user shared a video on X, identifying the scooter as an Ola S1 model that had caught fire. The incident took place near the parking area of D.Y Patil College in Pimpri Chinchwad.
One more incident of an Ola electric scooter catching fire has been reported near the parking lot of D.Y Patil College in Pimpri Chinchwad. This alarming event occurred near the Institute's parking area, igniting at approximately 8:30 in the morning. Upon receiving the report,… pic.twitter.com/tr0K3yn9pp
— Pune Mirror (@ThePuneMirror) October 28, 2023
The video, which circulated on social media, depicted thick smoke billowing from the scooter as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames with a water hose.
Thankfully, there have been no reported casualties associated with the incident, although the scooter sustained severe damage.
Notably, this is not an isolated incident, as another X user reported a similar fire incident involving an Ola S1 Pro scooter on October 20. The user recounted how the vehicle caught fire around midnight on August 24, with significant damage to the scooter.
Ola Electric’s response comes as authorities and consumers scrutinize the safety of electric scooters, especially in cases where fires have occurred. Investigations and discussions regarding safety standards for these vehicles continue to be of paramount concern.